libSVM

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 19 04:18:25 PDT 2010

On May 19, 2010, at 03:36, Bobby wrote:

> Thanks, my PATH looks like this:
>
> staff-roro-0:dports bobby$ echo $PATH
> /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

Ok, looks like the MacPorts paths are in there, so that's fine. Actually they're in there three times each, which is unnecessary, so you could edit your ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile and clean that up if you wanted to. It won't hurt anything to have them there three times, it just looks silly.

> The issue is that I'm trying to use libSVM inside a program called WEKA. (also installed via macports). Both weka and libSVM appear to be installed correctly, but the libSVM options inside WEKA are not working (they're grayed out).
>
> I've found several sets of instructions and followed them carefully (but no luck).
>
> One here:
> http://libsvm.[redacted].com/
>
> and one here:
> http://weka.[redacted].com/

Please don't refer to that web site for information about MacPorts. It's inaccurate and not under our control. For more info, please read:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/DarwinPorts

> And another instruction set completely independent of macports, which also did not work.
> http://the-open-sauce.blogspot.com/2009/09/getting-libsvm-to-work-with-weka-mac-os.html

Those instructions say "the file you need is [...] libsvm.jar". The libsvm port doesn't seem to install any jar. It looks like we already have a request in the issue tracker to install this, and a patch to implement that request:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24096

You could try that patch and see if it works for you.