inkscape crashes

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Wed Nov 3 09:13:13 PDT 2010

Inkscape (@0.48.0_1) installed via Macports crashes when I do just about
anything.  For example, it starts fine, but then if I draw a circle and
try to change its fill color, it crashes with:

{{{
$ inkscape
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-eMygxI/org.x:0".

Emergency save activated!

Emergency save document locations:
   /Users/jstickel/New document 1.2010_11_03_08_56_48.0.svg
Emergency save completed. Inkscape will close now.
If you can reproduce this crash, please file a bug at www.inkscape.org
with a detailed description of the steps leading to the crash, so we can
fix it.
Segmentation fault
}}}

This may be related to ticket #24528, although that report is old and
for version 0.47.  I'd be happy to open a ticket, but I'd like to debug
a bit first.  Is inkscape linking to a corrupt library?  How can I tell?

BTW, the downloadable "app" version of inkscape works fine.

Thanks,
Jonathan