xfig / date / libintl problem on a MacBook Pro

Joel Friedman jf at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 4 15:05:52 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I have a MacBookPro running OS X 10.6.4 .  I bought it a month or two ago,
and I believe it came with 10.6.

Yesterday I ran

sudo port install xfig

and had serious problems.  I don't have the orignal message, but when I
rerun the install xfig I get--

--->  Staging netpbm into destroot
Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: shell command failed
Log for netpbm is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_netpbm/main.log
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: transfig netpbm xorg-libXi
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

The log for netpbm includes:

:info:destroot dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
:info:destroot   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/date
:info:destroot   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
:info:destroot  /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Now when I try to run /opt/local/bin/date  I get:

jf at mac_etc[533]: /opt/local/bin/date
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/date
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

I've tried uninstalling, cleaning, getting the latest Xcode, and again
installing xfig to no avail.

Beforehand  /opt/local/bin/date  worked fine.

Any ideas?  I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Joel