xfig / date / libintl problem on a MacBook Pro

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Thu Nov 4 15:47:34 PDT 2010

I've found that this sort of corruption can only be cured with;

sudo port -f uninstall installed

	If you are really lucky, the garbage will be greatly reduced. For full
directions visit:

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html

	Then, after a reinstall of port, look for xfig dependencies prior to
installing it. Try the dependencies one at a time; it's easier to
reverse errors singly.

	Macports is a buggy software scheme, as buggy as possible, but one can
survive the bugs by exercising caution and care. Caveat emptor.

Joel Friedman wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a MacBookPro running OS X 10.6.4 .  I bought it a month or two ago,
> and I believe it came with 10.6.
>
> Yesterday I ran
>
> sudo port install xfig
>
> and had serious problems.  I don't have the orignal message, but when I
> rerun the install xfig I get--
>
> --->  Staging netpbm into destroot
> Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: shell command failed
> Log for netpbm is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_netpbm/main.log
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: transfig netpbm xorg-libXi
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
>
> The log for netpbm includes:
>
> :info:destroot dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
> :info:destroot   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/date
> :info:destroot   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
> :info:destroot  /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
>

> Now when I try to run /opt/local/bin/date  I get:
>
> jf at mac_etc[533]: /opt/local/bin/date
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/date
>   Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
>         /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> I've tried uninstalling, cleaning, getting the latest Xcode, and again
> installing xfig to no avail.
>
> Beforehand  /opt/local/bin/date  worked fine.
>
> Any ideas?  I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joel

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068