xfig / date / libintl problem on a MacBook Pro

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Fri Nov 5 01:34:41 PDT 2010

Dear Folk,

	There is nothing more to be said. Incidentally, I have never used Fink
for the exact reason I saw many folk complaining about the excruciating
problems they experienced.

	As to volunteering, my hot shot coding days are long past. I'm doing
good to find and fix the holes in my socks. I've accepted MacPorts as a
developmental work in progress and accept all that means. I just work
around the various hang ups, use what works for me, and wait for better
times. After seventy-seven years, what else is there to do?

	Still, it's a waste of time to claim there are no bugs in this system.
Laughing at the truth is far better than trying to cover it up. Being
defensive is a psychic waste and a drain of energy to no good. Being
offensive...that's just plain nasty.

Keith J. Schultz wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> 	Nobody, here has anything against questions or questioning policy,
> 	but you are definately wrong in stating that MacPorts is a "buggy software scheme".
> 	Quite the contrary is true. Have you used Fink? Fink has in the past screw my entire
> 	system big time! I have had to completely install the entire machine.
>
> 	MacPort is rather non-evasive. If the software that is installs via MacPort has bugs or if a major
> 	incompatibility occurs I can simply remove MacPort and start from scratch.
> 	Also, MacPorts has evolved to become very stable. That is most problems with MacPorts are due
> 	to not using the system properly. That is not selfupdating and not upgrading before a new port is installed.
> 	Then there is the problem that of migrating a MacPorts install, I personally hold this for a mistake, one should
> 	migrate a MacPorts install. Yes, they have support for it, but I discourage it.
>
> 	Now, there is only two aspects that make Macports "buggy" as you say:
>
> 	1) The upstream source is buggy.
>
> 	2) The upstream software must be ported, aka portfiles have to be maintained.
>
> 	1) is a non-brainer.
>
> 	2) Is a problems as the volunteer work is not co-ordinated, so that every port is necessarily "in sync"
> 	     with every it depends upon.
> 	MacPort is driven by volunteer work, and if you follow this list, you would know that the maintainers
> 	go way out of there way to help. Many problems that can not be solved are upstream problem.
> 	MacPort is cutting-edge software. Therefore, there will always be problems, but I would call them hardly
> 	bugs or buggy. It is development in progress. Evidently, would do work with software that is actively being
> 	developed very often or you would know this.
>
> 	Of course this is ONLY my opinion, and probably not YOURS.
>
> 	regards
> 		Keith.
>
> Am 05.11.2010 um 04:16 schrieb John B Brown:
>
>> Dear Daniel,
>>
>> 	Communication is essential to learning. Asking as many questions as possible is one way to communicate a need for enlightenment. Posing possibilities is another. Asking questions can hardly be considered bombast. Why would you even remember my initial learning curve?
>>
>> 	I certainly do hope you have a better command of work languages; your command of adjectives seems distorted.
>>
>> 	And yes, debugging implies bugs. Macports are forever being debugged. Do you wish to claim that as my fault also?
>>
>> 	Go check your cats!
>>
>> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> You have repeatedly bombastically blamed macports for problems that end up being caused by changes you've made to your system that put it into a non-working state.
>>> ... and now you're telling other users that macports is full of bugs.
>>> That's fine (as it's fairly easy to ignore you) - but you should expect that someone will step in to correct you when you offer bad advice to other users.
> [...]

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068