creating MacTeX links to MacPorts TeXLive

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Fri Nov 5 01:36:38 PDT 2010

Hi Ryan,
	The problem is that the Tex-Live is a static system as such. The binaries do seem to change for
	year to year. At least as far as I have noticed.

	But, many of the Tex…-packages are updated regulary. Such as polyglossia for example.
	There are no ports for the TeX-packages in Macports nor would it be feasable.
	Yet, these are working parts of the texlive-distribution. tlmgr is there to kept the texlive
	distribution up to date.

	Software in form of binaries do not seem to be installed. But, want is installed are support files
	and scripts.

	I way I understand the way ports recognizes the a port has to be updated is via the portfile. I believe
	that  it is up to the maintainer to identify upstream changes and change the portfile.
	With texlive the support files change practically daily no maintainer can kept up with this.

	I, also, believe it would not be feasible for MacPort to add tlmgr features to the ports commands.

	When one installs MacTeX one gets an "outdated" version. Then one fires up tlmgr(or its GUI) to get the
	latest support files if one wants.

	That is why I suggest support for tlmgr. Of course if MacPorts checks if the tarballs have changed and says that
	texlive is outdated and needs to be upgraded then I stand corrected. but then MacPorts rebuild the entire texlive
	binaries which actually do not be to be rebuild just there support files

	Maybe, some users of the Macports port of texlive can chime in and express their usage and if they have a need to
	kept very uptodate.

	regards
		Keith.