Autossh defaults to using system ssh

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Nov 10 14:45:31 PST 2010

On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:30 PM, kevin beckford wrote:

> Well, that's a bit confusing, because I had macports ssh installed.
> The build should have looked there first.

probably not, actually.

The builds should be consistent whether or not you have macports ssh installed (ie, either require macports ssh and always use it, or use the system ssh - potentially with either of these options as a variant).

> I shall open a ticket I
> guess.  As for the integration with the OS
>
> /usr/bin/ssh -v
> OpenSSH_5.2p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8l 5 Nov 2009
>
> ssh -v
> OpenSSH_5.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a 1 Jun 2010
>
> http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20100324.txt
>
> This is why I want to always default to macports ssh.  OpenSS(H\L) is
> critical.  I always want it to be up to date.  Nice work btw, ;)

Apple tends to incorporate patches to openssh/openssl in security updates (sometimes by backporting a fix - so the version number isn't always what you might expect).

You are right that you can update faster if you're not relying on Apple to release patches, though.
--
Daniel J. Luke
dluke at us.ntt.net