Unable to install x11 ports

Scott Heath Scott_Heath at bonfils.org
Thu Nov 11 08:12:11 PST 2010

What does 'cleaning the port' mean?  I need a guide to unix jargon, I guess.
My field is medical education, not unix or linux programming.

Anyway, here's the entire logfile:

version:1
:debug:main epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
:debug:main imake 1.0.3_0 exists in the ports tree
:debug:main imake 1.0.3_0  is the latest installed
:debug:main imake 1.0.3_0  is active
:debug:main Merging existing variants '' into variants
:debug:main new fully merged portvariants:
:debug:main Changing to port directory:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/x11/imake
:debug:main OS darwin/10.4.0 (Mac OS X 10.6) arch i386
:debug:main org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main adding the default universal variant
:debug:main Reading variant descriptions from
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/_resources/port
1.0/variant_descriptions.conf
:debug:main No need to upgrade! imake 1.0.3_0 >= imake 1.0.3_0
:debug:main epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
:debug:main xorg-cf-files 1.0.3_0 exists in the ports tree
:debug:main xorg-cf-files 1.0.3_0  is the latest installed
:debug:main xorg-cf-files 1.0.3_0  is active
:debug:main Merging existing variants '' into variants
:debug:main new fully merged portvariants:
:debug:main Changing to port directory:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/x11/xorg-cf-fil
es
:debug:main OS darwin/10.4.0 (Mac OS X 10.6) arch i386
:debug:main org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main only one arch supported, so not adding the default universal
variant
:debug:main No need to upgrade! xorg-cf-files 1.0.3_0 >= xorg-cf-files
1.0.3_0
:debug:main epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
:debug:main perl5 5.8.9_0 exists in the ports tree
:debug:main perl5 5.8.9_0  is the latest installed
:debug:main perl5 5.8.9_0  is active
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/lang/perl5
:debug:main OS darwin/10.4.0 (Mac OS X 10.6) arch i386
:debug:main org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main universal_variant is false, so not adding the default universal
variant
:debug:main No need to upgrade! perl5 5.8.9_0 >= perl5 5.8.9_0
:debug:main epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
:debug:main perl5.8 5.8.9_3 exists in the ports tree
:debug:main perl5.8 5.8.9_3  is the latest installed
:debug:main perl5.8 5.8.9_3  is active
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/lang/perl5.8
:debug:main OS darwin/10.4.0 (Mac OS X 10.6) arch i386
:debug:main org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main adding the default universal variant
:debug:main Reading variant descriptions from
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/_resources/port
1.0/variant_descriptions.conf
:debug:main No need to upgrade! perl5.8 5.8.9_3 >= perl5.8 5.8.9_3
:debug:main epoch: in tree: 0 installed: 0
:debug:main jpeg 8b_0 exists in the ports tree
:debug:main jpeg 8b_0  is the latest installed
:debug:main jpeg 8b_0  is active
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/graphics/jpeg
:debug:main OS darwin/10.4.0 (Mac OS X 10.6) arch i386
:debug:main org.macports.load registered provides 'load', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.unload registered provides 'unload', a pre-existing
procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main org.macports.distfiles registered provides 'distfiles', a
pre-existing procedure. Target override will not be provided
:debug:main adding the default universal variant
:debug:main Reading variant descriptions from
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/www.macports.org/files/ports/_resources/port
1.0/variant_descriptions.conf
:debug:main No need to upgrade! jpeg 8b_0 >= jpeg 8b_0
:msg:main --->  Computing dependencies for sunclock:info:main .:debug:main
Searching for dependency: imake
:debug:main Found Dependency: receipt exists for imake
:debug:main Searching for dependency: jpeg
:debug:main Found Dependency: receipt exists for jpeg
:msg:main
:debug:main Executing org.macports.main (sunclock)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (sunclock)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (sunclock)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.extract (sunclock)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.patch (sunclock)
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.configure (sunclock)
:msg:main --->  Building sunclock
:debug:build build phase started at Wed Nov 10 14:50:47 MST 2010
:debug:build Executing proc-pre-org.macports.build-build-0
:debug:build Executing org.macports.build (sunclock)
:debug:build Environment: CPATH='/opt/local/include'
CC_PRINT_OPTIONS_FILE='/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports
_sources_www.macports.org_files_ports_x11_sunclock/work/.CC_PRINT_OPTIONS'
LIBRARY_PATH='/opt/local/lib' CC_PRINT_OPTIONS='YES'
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET='10.6'
:debug:build Assembled command: 'cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_www.macports.
org_files_ports_x11_sunclock/work/sunclock-3.50pre1" && /usr/bin/make -j2
all'
:info:build /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -Os -O -DZLIB
-DSHAREDIR=\"/opt/local/share/sunclock\"     -I/opt/local/include
-D__x86_64__ -D__DARWIN__                                 -DNO_ALLOCA
-DCSRG_BASED          -c -o tildepath.o tildepath.c
:info:build rm -f sunclock
:info:build /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -o sunclock -Os -O -DZLIB
-DSHAREDIR=\"/opt/local/share/sunclock\"     -L/opt/local/lib   sunclock.o
astro.o widgets.o tildepath.o dirlist.o      readvmf.o readxpm.o readjpeg.o
-lXext -lX11  -lXpm  -lz      -L/opt/local/lib -ljpeg -lm
:info:build ld: library not found for -lXext
:info:build collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
:info:build make: *** [sunclock] Error 1
:info:build shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_www.macports.
org_files_ports_x11_sunclock/work/sunclock-3.50pre1" && /usr/bin/make -j2
all " returned error 2
:error:build Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed
:debug:build Backtrace: shell command failed
    while executing
"command_exec build"
    (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
    invoked from within
"$procedure $targetname"
:info:build Warning: the following items did not execute (for sunclock):
org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot
org.macports.install
:notice:build Log for sunclock is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_www.macports.or
g_files_ports_x11_sunclock/main.log

OK, if the sunclock dependencies declaration is not up to current standards,
how do I submit a ticket?

I have also discovered that, since my G3/fink days, another of my X11
favorites, Celestia, has been released as a full OSX app, so the
functionality of sunclock and xearth are really all wrapped up in that.

--
Scott Heath, Instructional Designer
Transfusion Medicine Computer Assisted Learning Unit

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.