Variant confusion

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Nov 12 01:54:31 PST 2010

I ran into a problem with NumPy (py26-numpy) crashing when calling the
ATLAS library, which apparently is a known problem. As a quick fix, I
decided to re-install NumPy using the Mac's system library versions of
BLAS and LAPACK rathern than ATLAS, i..e to use the variant -atlas.

Here is what I did to make the change without upsetting all of NumPy's
dependents:

	port deactivate py26-numpy
	port install -atlas +gcc44 py26-numpy
	port uninstall py26-numpy @1.5.0_1+atlas+gcc44

After that, NumPy no longer crashes, which was the goal of the
operation. Fine.

However, my MacPorts database seems to be rather confused by the
current state:

 > port variants py26-numpy
py26-numpy has the variants:
[+]atlas: Use the MacPorts' ATLAS libraries  instead of Apple's
Accelerate
           framework
    gcc43: Use the gcc43 compiler (enables fortran linking)
      * conflicts with gcc44 gcc45
[+]gcc44: Use the gcc44 compiler (enables fortran linking)
      * conflicts with gcc43 gcc45
    gcc45: Use the gcc45 compiler (enables fortran linking)
      * conflicts with gcc43 gcc44
    universal: Build for multiple architectures

This looks clearly wrong.

 > port installed py26-numpy
   py26-numpy @1.5.0_1 (active)

This one looks fine - no reference to atlas

 > port deps py26-numpy
Full Name: py26-numpy @1.5.0_1+atlas+gcc44
Library Dependencies: python26, fftw-3, py26-nose, gcc44, atlas

I don't see why atlas should still be a dependency, though this might
be a bug with the dependency list of py26-numpy, which wouldn't then
be a serious problem.

My main worry is messing up my installation during future updates. Is
there any way to clean this mess up?

Thanks in advance,
   Konrad.