Variant confusion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 12 09:18:02 PST 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 03:54, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> I ran into a problem with NumPy (py26-numpy) crashing when calling the ATLAS library, which apparently is a known problem. As a quick fix, I decided to re-install NumPy using the Mac's system library versions of BLAS and LAPACK rathern than ATLAS, i..e to use the variant -atlas.
>
> Here is what I did to make the change without upsetting all of NumPy's dependents:
>
> 	port deactivate py26-numpy
> 	port install -atlas +gcc44 py26-numpy
> 	port uninstall py26-numpy @1.5.0_1+atlas+gcc44
>
> After that, NumPy no longer crashes, which was the goal of the operation. Fine.
>
> However, my MacPorts database seems to be rather confused by the current state:
>
> > port variants py26-numpy
> py26-numpy has the variants:
> [+]atlas: Use the MacPorts' ATLAS libraries  instead of Apple's Accelerate
>          framework
>   gcc43: Use the gcc43 compiler (enables fortran linking)
>     * conflicts with gcc44 gcc45
> [+]gcc44: Use the gcc44 compiler (enables fortran linking)
>     * conflicts with gcc43 gcc45
>   gcc45: Use the gcc45 compiler (enables fortran linking)
>     * conflicts with gcc43 gcc44
>   universal: Build for multiple architectures
>
> This looks clearly wrong.

It looks fine to me. It's telling you what variants are available in the port, and which ones would be selected by default ("[+]") if you didn't specify otherwise.

This has nothing to do with what variants you've specified and installed.

> > port installed py26-numpy
> The following ports are currently installed:
>  py26-numpy @1.5.0_1 (active)
>
> This one looks fine - no reference to atlas

Right. You specified not to use atlas when you installed py26-numpy, so "port installed py26-numpy" will reflect that.

> > port deps py26-numpy
> Full Name: py26-numpy @1.5.0_1+atlas+gcc44
> Library Dependencies: python26, fftw-3, py26-nose, gcc44, atlas
>
> I don't see why atlas should still be a dependency, though this might be a bug with the dependency list of py26-numpy, which wouldn't then be a serious problem.

These are the dependencies of py26-numpy with its defaults variants. If you want to see the dependencies of py26-numpy with a different set of variants, specify that set of variants, e.g.:

$ port deps py26-numpy -atlas
Full Name: py26-numpy @1.5.0_1+universal
Library Dependencies: python26, fftw-3, py26-nose

> My main worry is messing up my installation during future updates. Is there any way to clean this mess up?

Nothing is messed up.