gnome starter

Andrea D'Amore and.damore at macports.org
Fri Nov 12 23:30:31 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM, io <paolodamessina at libero.it> wrote:
> On a MacBookPro I installed the bundle named gnome in the port list.
> All OK. Then I considered the article GNOME on the MacPorts HOME.
> bash uses profile files, so that I made the following shell file named gnome:

Did you follow the line saying:
"WARNING: If you have a ~/.xinitrc file on Leopard or SnowLeopard,
delete it and instead use the ~/.xinitrc.d directory as directed
below."?

Probably you're starting another window manager before trying to run
metacity. Use a script named like "directed below", i.e.
~/.xinitrc.d/90-gnome.sh

> bash-3.2$ Failed to start message bus: launch_msg("CheckIn") IPC failure: Operation not permitted

I'm not sure if dbus is started by user or system-wide, you should
check this point.

> Avviso del window manager: Lo schermo 0 sul display «/tmp/launch-XJRq02/org.x:0» ha già  un window manager
> (italian wording means 'Screen 0 on display etc. has yet a window manager)

Pretty clear, it translates in 'Screen 0 already has a window manager'.

Ciao

--
Andrea