MacPorts vs Mac PATH Conflicts - Best Workaround???

joe davison jwdavison at me.com
Sun Nov 14 16:42:19 PST 2010

Presumably there are a variety of projects you use where which you want to use differs from project to project?

I create project_name.env files in ~/bin where can set the PATH I want for that project.  Then whenever I want to work on that project, I create a new terminal window and . project_name.env to set the PATH (and any other variables I want set).

I make it somewhat easier by creating some variables like "STDPATH" in my .profile that have the fixed part of my path, and then the project_name.env file need only prefix / append the different parts to the STDPATH.

Of course, this assumes one works primarily from the command line.

--
  joe
  joda at ieee.org