xterm hangs - help needed

Mike Coughlan mpcmpc at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 09:22:55 PST 2010

I can't get an xterm to show on up my screen. I think my environment may be messed up, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. Or maybe ports missed a dependency.

Here's my system info.
Mac OS X 10.6.4
echo $DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-Xpga6G/org.x:0

When I run xterm, the mac X11 icon shows up in my system tray, but no terminal appears. There is no reported error.

I'm trying to run Xboard and Gnuchess. I've got Darwin ports installed. It grabbed Gnuchess, Xboard, and xterm for me. I've confirmed that Gnuchess installed successfully because I can run it in ascii mode. When I run 'gnuchess xboard' it hangs much like the xterm. I figure if I can solve that problem, this will work too.

Thanks all.

Mike Coughlan