xterm hangs - help needed

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 28 16:19:47 PST 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 11:22, Mike Coughlan wrote:

> I can't get an xterm to show on up my screen. I think my environment may be messed up, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. Or maybe ports missed a dependency.
>
> Here's my system info.
> Mac OS X 10.6.4
> echo $DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-Xpga6G/org.x:0
>
> When I run xterm, the mac X11 icon shows up in my system tray,

You mean the Dock. ("System tray" is a Windows term.)

> but no terminal appears. There is no reported error.
>
> I'm trying to run Xboard and Gnuchess. I've got Darwin ports installed.

You mean MacPorts. We haven't been called DarwinPorts for years.

On Nov 28, 2010, at 17:06, Mike Coughlan wrote:

> Okay. I ran an X11 terminal instead of a regular command prompt from the Mac Finer, and that spawned xboard and xterm just fine. Now I just need to figure out how to hook that into gnuchess.
>
> If anyone knows how I might be setting my DISPLAY etc, it's probably a good thing for me to know in the long run.

Based on what you showed above, your DISPLAY variable is already set correctly. (Apple sets it correctly for you, so unless you had previously tried to change its value to something incorrect, it should still be correct.)