Cannot install libsdl_mixer

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 2 17:17:56 PDT 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 15:59, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> I installed macports just today on OS X 10.6.4.  I've set:
>
>  build_arch       i386
>  universal_archs  i386 ppc
>
> in macports.conf since I need Intel and PPC 32-bit univeral binaries.  Then:
>
>  port selfupdate
>  port install libsdl +no_x11 +universal
>  port install libsdl_mixer +universal -mikmod
>
> A lot of stuff was installed correctly, but at the very end, when libsdl_mixer is installed, I get an error:
>
>  --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libsdl_mixer
>  --->  Extracting libsdl_mixer
>  --->  Configuring libsdl_mixer
>  --->  Building libsdl_mixer
>  Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed
>  Log for libsdl_mixer is at: [...]
>
> Doing a "port clean --all libsdl_mixer" and then trying again does not help; same error happens :-/
>
> This is the log:
>
>  http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=LLJGW1eV
>
> What is wrong?  Any way to fix it?

Trying to build for PowerPC architectures on Snow Leopard is not supported since Snow Leopard doesn't run on PowerPC computers.

However, the error in your log is:

:info:build ld: warning: in build/.libs/playwave.o, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
:info:build ld: warning: in build/.libs/libSDL_mixer.dylib, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
:info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDL.dylib, missing required architecture x86_64 in file

It looks like libsdl_mixer got properly built for the architectures you requested, but during the link phase, it forgot to use those same architectures, so it tried to use the default x86_64, which of course can't work. I see this same problem when trying to build libsdl_mixer for i386 (in a MacPorts prefix on Snow Leopard with build_arch set to i386). So I filed a bug report for that issue:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26706

Note that I have no trouble building libsdl_mixer universal for i386 x86_64 on Snow Leopard.