Cannot install libsdl_mixer

Jon Hermansen jon.hermansen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 17:37:51 PDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2010, at 15:59, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
> > I installed macports just today on OS X 10.6.4.  I've set:
> >
> >  build_arch       i386
> >  universal_archs  i386 ppc
> >
> > in macports.conf since I need Intel and PPC 32-bit univeral binaries.
>  Then:
> >
> >  port selfupdate
> >  port install libsdl +no_x11 +universal
> >  port install libsdl_mixer +universal -mikmod
> >
> > A lot of stuff was installed correctly, but at the very end, when
> libsdl_mixer is installed, I get an error:
> >
> >  --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libsdl_mixer
> >  --->  Extracting libsdl_mixer
> >  --->  Configuring libsdl_mixer
> >  --->  Building libsdl_mixer
> >  Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command failed
> >  Log for libsdl_mixer is at: [...]
> >
> > Doing a "port clean --all libsdl_mixer" and then trying again does not
> help; same error happens :-/
> >
> > This is the log:
> >
> >  http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=LLJGW1eV
> >
> > What is wrong?  Any way to fix it?
>
> Trying to build for PowerPC architectures on Snow Leopard is not supported
> since Snow Leopard doesn't run on PowerPC computers.
>

> However, the error in your log is:
>

> :info:build ld: warning: in build/.libs/playwave.o, missing required
> architecture x86_64 in file
> :info:build ld: warning: in build/.libs/libSDL_mixer.dylib, missing
> required architecture x86_64 in file
> :info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDLmain.a, missing required
> architecture x86_64 in file
> :info:build ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libSDL.dylib, missing required
> architecture x86_64 in file
>

> It looks like libsdl_mixer got properly built for the architectures you
> requested, but during the link phase, it forgot to use those same
> architectures, so it tried to use the default x86_64, which of course can't
> work. I see this same problem when trying to build libsdl_mixer for i386 (in
> a MacPorts prefix on Snow Leopard with build_arch set to i386). So I filed a
> bug report for that issue:
>

> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/26706
>

> Note that I have no trouble building libsdl_mixer universal for i386 x86_64
> on Snow Leopard.

I have a patch that fixes this issue like this:

if {[variant_isset universal]} {
>    build.args   CC="${configure.cc} ${configure.universal_cflags}"
> }

Like Ryan, I had no issue uni-building with i386+x86_64 arches set, but
throwing ppc in the mix seems to mess things up. I'm also pretty sure my fix
is not the best way to approach, but I guess it's worth looking into _why_
it gets the build working...

I've attached the patch in case someone would like to use it...