VLC Interface Error

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Oct 4 00:10:43 PDT 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Used that before and could not open the DVD. Downloaded VLC 1.2.2.dmg, tried again. It failed again. Added error log here: http://pastebin.com/6T7hbd1x . Will ask for help at VLC forum. Thanks

Just curious... How come you want to use MacPorts to install VLC when VLC has releases that are build as UB's for all relevant Mac OS X versions.

I could understand wanting to hand build the software to tune and customize it to a specialized or specific need. But MacPorts isn't really going to help you much there.

With the portfile being out of date and deps being unstable, I'm wondering what the gain is in your/this case?

I've wondered this about a few other softwares in MacPorts. Pretty much anything with a native non x11 GUI doesn't make sense to me. The .dmg seems easier. Updates are provided in app most of the time. Time to download versus build is probably going to be longer on the build method too.