VLC Interface Error

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:26:37 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Used that before and could not open the DVD. Downloaded VLC 1.2.2.dmg,
> tried again. It failed again. Added error log here:
> <http://pastebin.com/6T7hbd1x>http://pastebin.com/6T7hbd1x . Will ask for
> help at VLC forum. Thanks
>

> Just curious... How come you want to use MacPorts to install VLC when VLC
> has releases that are build as UB's for all relevant Mac OS X versions.

Had VLC installed via Mac's precompiled VLC image already, but it wouldn't
and still won't play the DVD. Was hoping the MacPorts version would and that
I could otherwise upgrade it easily like I did the VLC player under Ubuntu
in my virtual box. It did already play in VMWare/Ubuntu+VLC

> I could understand wanting to hand build the software to tune and customize
> it to a specialized or specific need. But MacPorts isn't really going to
> help you much there.
>
> With the portfile being out of date and deps being unstable, I'm wondering
> what the gain is in your/this case?
>
> I've wondered this about a few other softwares in MacPorts. Pretty much
> anything with a native non x11 GUI doesn't make sense to me. The .dmg seems
> easier. Updates are provided in app most of the time. Time to download
> versus build is probably going to be longer on the build method too.

Installed the latest VLC .dmg again. Had errors reading the DVD again. The
DVD that did run under VLC/Ubuntu with the mentioned added dvdread4. Posted
a message on the VLC forum.