Will binaries built in 10.6 still run in 10.5?

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Mon Oct 4 12:00:25 PDT 2010

On 10/04/2010 09:39 PM, Harry van der Wolf wrote:

> 2010/10/4 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at arcor.de <mailto:realnc at arcor.de>>
>
>     On 10/04/2010 09:07 PM, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>
>         On 10/3/10 21:21 , Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>             Thanks, Ryan.  I suppose I will need to find someone who has
>             a 10.5
>             installation to do a sanity check for me before I release
>             any binaries
>             tagged with "OS X 10.5 and newer".
>

>         Distributing binaries built via MacPorts tends to be a bad idea:
>           not only
>         do you need to make sure to distribute the files from any
>         dependencies as
>         well as your binary, but the result will likely interfere with
>         an installed
>         MacPorts or Fink on the installer's machine.
>

>     I link the *.a static libs into my executable and then test if it
>     works.  Then I do a "mv /opt/local /opt/local_disable" and test
>     again.  It works :)  Though only for Intel.  The PPC code crashes at
>     some point (regardless of the presence of /opt/local).
>
> Did you check all libraries/binaries for their architecture with lipo
> -info <blahblah>?
> GCC 4.2.1 is designed to build ppc64 for ppc architecture. I assume that
> part of your libs/bins is ppc64 instead of ppc.

lipo -info says: "Non-fat file: Foo is architecture: ppc7400"  These are
the Qt frameworks (built on my system, with the default compiler Qt uses
when you choose "32-bit PPC", which is GCC 4.2.1).

However, on the libraries build with MacPorts, lipo says ppc instead of
ppc7400: "Architectures in the fat file: libvorbis.a are: i386 ppc"