port post install notes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 4 13:11:40 PDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 14:48, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2010, at 3:41 PM, infrabit at infrabit.net wrote:
>>

>> Is there a way to view the post install notes?
>
> port notes <portname>
>
>> Unless I missed that information
>> from 'man port' and then I will pronto go back to it :)
>
> You did, it says:
>
>   notes
>     Displays notes for portname (useful information concerning setup and
>     use of the port).

"notes" is still a bit of a new feature in MacPorts, so you may run into ports that display a post-install message but which is not accessible via "port notes"; this is probably a bug that should be reported in the issue tracker.

The exception is if the message concerns the creation and use of a startup item; this message is generated by MacPorts base and not by the port itself. This message is not repeated by "port notes"; perhaps it should be.