Will binaries built in 10.6 still run in 10.5?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Oct 4 19:02:26 PDT 2010

As mentioned, it will run on G4s and G5s.  Of course that should be expected since you are not building with '-mmacosx-version-min' and thus the ppc code being built is for the current OS version (meaning you're probably trying to run it through rosetta which understands ppc7400).  If you want to *really* run it on a G3, then you certainly aren't expecting it to be on OSX 10.6, so you need to specify the minimum OS version appropriately:

~  $ gcc-4.2 -arch ppc -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 test.c

~  $ lipo -info a.out
Non-fat file: a.out is architecture: ppc

BTW, this should "just work" when you follow the suggestion mentioned in the very first reply to your thread:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-September/021880.html