Remove PPC macports from Intel Mac

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Fri Oct 8 10:50:30 PDT 2010

CAUTION!!!

rm'ing /opt/local could remove important data. For instance mysql
databases among other things.

On Oct 8, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Mark Johnson wrote:

> Recently my old PPC PowerBook was replaced by a new Intel MacBook.
> Our IY department copied everything from the old machine to the new
> one.
>
> Now I find that none of the ports work and they are interfering with
> installation of new software.
>
> How can I get rid of the old MacPorts or replace it with one
> compatible with my new machine?
>
> I can't run sudo port -f uninstall installed because the port
> command does not work.

What are the results of when you issue port -f uninstall installed?

It may be that the port command is not in your PATH.

http://guide.macports.org/index.html#installing.shell.postflight

You can add this to .profile to fix this.

cd ~/
cat .profile
echo "export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH" >> .profile
echo "export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH" >> .profile
source .profile
port version

// Brad