texlive install dies.

John B Brown jbb at vcn.com
Sun Oct 10 00:52:37 PDT 2010

On 10/10/10 12:29 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM, John B Brown<jbb at vcn.com>  wrote:
>>         After I sent the log I attempted the command without the 'full' and
>> it resumed with staging python26, installed it, and gave the advice
>
> That "full" appended to texlive means nothing and gives an error on a
> sane system as there's no "full" port. You seem to have missed a plus
> sign for specifying "full" variant.
>
> Python26 destroot returned an error thus breaking your port command,
> the reason why it did was in the log file referred by terminal output.

	Yes, the log file was gone after I retried successfully, but when it
was still there I did a cat of it and cut and pasted the screen display
into a text file which is what I posted.

	I have since discovered the +full variant and tried that after a
successful install of texlive. That has been a partial success; it
stalls at various sites and I must then stop the port process and
restart. So far that has worked once. The second time stalled again and
I have yet to restart for a third attempt.

jbb at pinball3:~/macports
(13): % sudo port install texlive +full
--->  Computing dependencies for texlive
--->  Dependencies to be installed: texlive-fonts-extra
texlive-formats-extra texlive-games texlive-generic-extra
texlive-htmlxml texlive-humanities texlive-lang-african
texlive-lang-arabic texlive-lang-armenian texlive-lang-cjk
texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-danish
texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hebrew
texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-indic texlive-lang-latin
texlive-lang-latvian texlive-lang-lithuanian texlive-lang-mongolian
texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-swedish
texlive-lang-tibetan texlive-lang-vietnamese texlive-latex-extra
texlive-pictures texlive-latex3 texlive-music texlive-omega
texlive-plain-extra texlive-pstricks texlive-publishers texlive-science
--->  Fetching texlive-fonts-extra
--->  Attempting to fetch texlive-fonts-extra-13989.tar.bz2 from
http://distfiles.macports.org/texlive-fonts-extra
^C

	I'll now try again.

	It stalled for the third time. I went directly to
http://distfiles.macports.org/texlive-fonts-extra/ and tried to download
from the site. My download stopped at 85Mb on a 111Mb file. I then
paused the download after waiting about ten minutes for it to resume by
itself. The resume button resumed the download and the file size to be
downloaded changed from 111Mb to 158Mb.

	What is that all about?

	It has stalled again at 133Mb of 158 Mb. Hitting the pause and then the
resume was unsuccessful this time. The browser download window announces
'Unknown time remaining - 133 of 158 MB (0 bytes/sec)' and no changes
upon repeat stops and resumes.

	It would appear there is an error in the composition of the file
'texlive-fonts-extra-13989.tar.bz2' or in the surface of the storage media.

	I'll try again another day.

	Shalom,

	John B. Brown.
	[jbb at vcn.com]
	358 High Street,
	Buffalo, Wyoming
	82834

"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include
the freedom to make mistakes"  Mahatma Gandhi
"If any question why we died, tell them,
because our fathers lied."  Rudyard Kipling
"A man who does not know the truth is just an idiot
but a man who knows the truth and calls it a lie
is a crook."  Bertolt Brecht
"I wonder whether the world is being run
by smart people who are putting us on
or by imbeciles who really mean it."  Mark Twain

1-307-684-9068