texlive install dies.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 10 02:12:10 PDT 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 02:52, John B Brown wrote:

> 	I have since discovered the +full variant and tried that after a successful install of texlive. That has been a partial success; it stalls at various sites and I must then stop the port process and restart. So far that has worked once. The second time stalled again and I have yet to restart for a third attempt.

> jbb at pinball3:~/macports
> (13): % sudo port install texlive +full
> --->  Computing dependencies for texlive
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: texlive-fonts-extra texlive-formats-extra texlive-games texlive-generic-extra texlive-htmlxml texlive-humanities texlive-lang-african texlive-lang-arabic texlive-lang-armenian texlive-lang-cjk texlive-lang-croatian texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-danish texlive-lang-finnish texlive-lang-greek texlive-lang-hebrew texlive-lang-hungarian texlive-lang-indic texlive-lang-latin texlive-lang-latvian texlive-lang-lithuanian texlive-lang-mongolian texlive-lang-norwegian texlive-lang-other texlive-lang-swedish texlive-lang-tibetan texlive-lang-vietnamese texlive-latex-extra texlive-pictures texlive-latex3 texlive-music texlive-omega texlive-plain-extra texlive-pstricks texlive-publishers texlive-science
> --->  Fetching texlive-fonts-extra
> --->  Attempting to fetch texlive-fonts-extra-13989.tar.bz2 from http://distfiles.macports.org/texlive-fonts-extra
> ^C
>
> 	I'll now try again.
>
> 	It stalled for the third time.

FYI, you can use the -d debug switch to get more information, including download progress.

sudo port -d install texlive +full

But MacPorts doesn't resume partial downloads; it restarts them from the beginning. So if the download keeps stalling and you find you need to retry and resume, downloading manually in a browser, as you then tried, should work better.

> I went directly to http://distfiles.macports.org/texlive-fonts-extra/ and tried to download from the site. My download stopped at 85Mb on a 111Mb file. I then paused the download after waiting about ten minutes for it to resume by itself. The resume button resumed the download and the file size to be downloaded changed from 111Mb to 158Mb.
>
> 	What is that all about?
>
> 	It has stalled again at 133Mb of 158 Mb. Hitting the pause and then the resume was unsuccessful this time. The browser download window announces 'Unknown time remaining - 133 of 158 MB (0 bytes/sec)' and no changes upon repeat stops and resumes.

I don't know what that's about.

According to "curl -I http://distfiles.macports.org/texlive-fonts-extra/texlive-fonts-extra-13989.tar.bz2" the file size is 166189238 bytes (166 MiB or 158 MB).

> 	It would appear there is an error in the composition of the file 'texlive-fonts-extra-13989.tar.bz2' or in the surface of the storage media.

Or with the network.