Problems w/ MacFUSE & SSHFS

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 06:01:27 PDT 2010

Dan Ports wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:13:56PM -0700, Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:
>> I just installed the macfuse and sshfs ports on a MacBook Pro running
>> a 64-bit kernel.
>
> MacFUSE doesn't support 64-bit kernels. The problem is that 64-bit
> filesystems need to be thread-safe, and MacFUSE isn't. As far as I can
> tell, there hasn't been much progress upstream on the issue, though I
> did see a thread from a couple days ago on the MacFUSE discussion forum
> that sounded encouraging.
>
> There are a couple supposed 64-bit MacFUSE modules floating around, but
> they appear to just bypass the thread-safety check, so would not
> actually be safe to use.

Yes. The early versions that enabled 64 bit kernels where just nasty
hacks that just turned off the checks that disabled it, so where not
thread safe. They where dangerous to use.

However, the recent one here

<http://groups.google.com/group/macfuse/browse_thread/thread/9e5ec92932f27f46>

has I think been done 'properly', so whilst still beta, is a much safer
bet....

Chris