macports through firewall

Dr. Madhurjya P. Bora mpbora at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 01:36:29 PDT 2010

Dear Port Users,

I have been trying to install the macports in my iMac running Leopard (10.5).
Following instructions from the macport guide section, I have successfully
installed the subversion and synced with svn update instead of rsync update, as
my school uses a firewall.

Now, when I try to install something, say, xsane or anything, the following
errors come up.

---------
[Scarlett:~] mpbora% sudo port install xsane
Password:
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
Error: Port xsane not found
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
[Scarlett:~] mpbora%
---------

I have tried to execute this command also from the directory, but get the same
results

---------
find /opt/local -name xsane
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/graphics/xsane
^C
[Scarlett:~] mpbora% cd
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/graphics/xsane

[Scarlett:dports/graphics/xsane] mpbora% sudo port install
xsane                                                   Warning: No index(es)
found! Have you synced your source indexes?
Error: Port xsane not found
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
[Scarlett:dports/graphics/xsane] mpbora% setenv http_proxy
http://10.10.127.2:3128
[Scarlett:dports/graphics/xsane] mpbora% sudo port install xsane
Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
Error: Port xsane not found
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
[Scarlett:dports/graphics/xsane] mpbora%
--------

Any help is welcome.  Regards,

--- Madhurjya