macports through firewall

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 29 01:56:05 PDT 2010

On Oct 29, 2010, at 03:36, Dr. Madhurjya P. Bora wrote:

> I have been trying to install the macports in my iMac running Leopard (10.5). Following instructions from the macport guide section, I have successfully installed the subversion

FYI, Subversion is already installed on Mac OS X 10.5 and later. It's part of Mac OS X.

> and synced with svn update instead of rsync update, as my school uses a firewall.
>
> Now, when I try to install something, say, xsane or anything, the following errors come up.
>
> ---------
> [Scarlett:~] mpbora% sudo port install xsane
> Password:
> Warning: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?
> Error: Port xsane not found
> To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>
> [Scarlett:~] mpbora%
> ---------

You need to run "sudo port sync", which will update your ports (using Subversion, now that you've changed your sources.conf to point to the Subversion working copy of the dports tree that you checked out) and create the PortIndex by running the portindex program. Or you could run the portindex program manually if you wanted to. If you want to do that, you need to cd to the dports directory before doing so.