I'm a beginner so be nice to me

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 3 19:40:16 PDT 2010

On Sep 3, 2010, at 21:25, ronxroxx at comcast.net wrote:

> Thanks Ryan, here's the output of that command.
>
> ronosx:~ rcross$ find / -name dlfcn.h 2>/dev/null
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/include/dlfcn.h
> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/include/dlfcn.h
> /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h
> /usr/include/dlfcn.h
>

> It's in /usr/include/ but I was not told to remove it from here before.

You are not supposed to remove /usr/include/dlfcn.h; that file is provided by Mac OS X and is needed.

> I did remove it from /usr/include/local already.

You mean /usr/local/include. And I thought you said there was no dlfcn.h there. Things in /usr/local are not provided by Mac OS X; they are provided by other software you installed yourself. And the dlfcn.h that we typically see users having in /usr/local/include is usually broken (probably because it's older than the one that comes with Mac OS X).

In your case, I suspect /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h will be the problem. Where did that come from? What does "port provides /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h" say? Deactivate whatever port it says, then you should be able to clean and install help2man, and we will need to investigate why that port needs to install that file. Or, if it says that file is not provided by a MacPorts port, then just remove the file, and if you have any ideas about why the file was there, let us know.