I'm a beginner so be nice to me

ronxroxx at comcast.net ronxroxx at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 08:45:02 PDT 2010

Good morning Ryan, I have dsniff installed and I now I have to figure out how to use it -there another mailing this for that.

I read your previous email and here are my replies:

>You mean /usr/local/include. And I thought you said there was no dlfcn.h there. Things in /usr/local are not provided by Mac OS X; they are provided by other software you installed yourself. And the dlfcn.h that we typically see users having in /usr/local/include is usually broken (probably because it's older than the one that comes with Mac OS X).

You are indeed correct that's it's usr/local/include and I did say that there were no dlfcn.h file located there. My previous email thread stated that I deleted all *.h files from this location none of which were dlfcn.h.

>In your case, I suspect /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h will be the problem. Where did that come from? What does "port provides /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h" say? Deactivate whatever port it says, then you should be able to clean and install help2man, and we will need to investigate why that port needs to install that file. Or, if it says that file is not provided by a MacPorts port, then just remove the file, and if you have any ideas about why the file was there, let us know.

I don't know where dlfcn.h file in /opt/local/include came from. However, it appears to be an older version and RTLD_NEXT was not defined in that file. I ran your command "port provides /opt/local/include/dlfcn.h" and it stated that it is not provided by a MacPorts port. At any rate, I still moved the file to dlfcn.h.bak and "sudo port install dsniff-devel" and it installed without any errors.

Since help2man was previously installed from my last hack, It doesn't appear that the install started from scratch as I was unable to find the bindtextdomain.c file that I modified with "#define RTLD_NEXT ((void *) -1)" I was going to remove this line before installing dsniff-devel but was unable to find it so I ran the command without modifying it. I personally don't like doing hacks like this as I don't know if I will screw up something somewhere else down the line.

Again, I want to thank you and everyone else for your advice.