Just found out Ports/Fink is not the same

Savory Michael msavory1 at nzbox.com
Sat Sep 18 20:29:58 PDT 2010

Hi

Just to throw in my 2c, I started with Fink as well, I shifted to Macports when I discovered they had a more recent copy of Wireshark (and most other unix'y networking apps as well), I have not looked at Fink at all for the last few years. Maybe things have changed, but I just wanted to point out that the worst thing you can do, is try and mix things....  Its either MacPorts only, Fink only, or Compile you self only... don't even think about mixing those.

Once you are in the MacPorts mode, instead of compiling some new software you have just discovered, it becomes easier to think about writing a port for the new software you have discovered...

That is my experience anyway...

Mike