MacPorts vs xquartz? (was Re: openmotif in macports dependencies and xquartz?)

Tommy Bollman tommyb06 at student.uia.no
Sat Apr 2 09:18:10 PDT 2011

Hello Jeremy.

The problem I had was that I installed the +huge port of vim.

I have a good setup of xterm from within xterm. ( I start XQuartz from spotlight).

When I then started up vim from withing the xterm, giving the command "gu", then X11.app
would start and do the window handling for vim I believe.

The result was that I ended up having both X11.app and XQuartz.app visible in the command bar. (The one I get when I press cmd-Tab ).

I think the problems goes for other apps as well.

Since then I have installed a port which doesn't use X11, and MacVim, but I really would like
to have the menus and such from within XQuartz.

I wonder how I fix this, so that vim/xim only uses XQuartz as the window server.
-If the problems would go away if I recompile, using the libraries found in the /opt tree?

Thanks

Den 1. apr. 2011 kl. 03.30 skrev Jeremy Huddleston:

> On Mar 31, 2011, at 4:52 PM, Tommy Bollman wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>> Can I read this as I might manage to get vim/xim building with only macports libraries and not the ones shipped with Apple
>
> Yes.  That is the policy in MacPorts (to prefer in-tree dependencies rather than system-provided ones).
>
>> -And make it work without firing up X11.app ?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking... You could use any X server you want...

>>> The ones in MacPorts are generally the latest versions.
>>> The ones from XQuartz are also generally the latest version as of the release date.
>>> The ones from Apple are a bit more dated / stable for consistency across major releases of the OS.

>>> I'd recommend using the host X11 libraries.  Link your application (including extra libraries) against those, and ship everything not part of the system.  You could use something like /opt/myapp as the prefix for building all your bits and just ship /opt/myapp (and probably place /opt/myapp/bin into $PATH via /etc/paths.h/myapp

>>> This email sent to tommyb06 at student.uia.no
>>>

>> Best regards
>>

>> Tommy Bollman
>>
>> This email sent to jeremyhu at freedesktop.org