MacPorts vs xquartz? (was Re: openmotif in macports dependencies and xquartz?)

Bayard Bell buffer.g.overflow at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:02:48 PDT 2011

Are you able to check your DISPLAY environment variable for each application by comparing the output of ps -Exww -p <pid> for each process? I believe the normal way that Apple defines their X listeners is as LaunchAgents with SecureSocketWithKey, which creates a domain socket in a randomly named directory created by launchd for each session, whose name is inherited by those jobs but not the user.

As well as the DISPLAY variable, you can use the open command to specify which Xserver you want to use (e.g. open -a XQuartz.app /opt/local/bin/xemacs). My understanding is that you have to create new app and/or bundle names for this to spawn additional Xserver instances, otherwise you'll use what's already there if it's running or launch it if it's not.