MacPorts vs xquartz? (was Re: openmotif in macports dependencies and xquartz?)

Tommy Bollman tommyb06 at student.uia.no
Sat Apr 2 11:39:41 PDT 2011

Hello  Bayard.

I installed a "bare" vim, -at least one without x-support, and I can't reproduce the problem right now.

I did tried the command with xterm  through XQuartz and I got :0 as the result when I did the ps command on xterm.

I have some discrpancies regarding the $DISPLAY :

Its from my log.  Localhost [0x0-0x11d11d].org.macosforge.xquartz.X11[0]: xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "Localhost.local:0" in "remove" command

I did a full trace on startx and initx once, and then there popped up display names of (i believe)
Localhost.local/unix:0.
I just hadn't the time to deal with it then. I don't have that time now neither, because I can't remember where I put that echo statement do reveal the display parameter.

This may have nothing to do with those problems I addressed in this thread, but as soon as I get around to it, i'll file a ticket or something, in ordre to understand what is happening here.

I am rather new to this, and I thought that XQuartz is to replace X11 as an X-server am I right?

Thanks anyway, I'll comeback to this when I have the time.

Den 2. apr. 2011 kl. 19.02 skrev Bayard Bell:

> Are you able to check your DISPLAY environment variable for each application by comparing the output of ps -Exww -p <pid> for each process? I believe the normal way that Apple defines their X listeners is as LaunchAgents with SecureSocketWithKey, which creates a domain socket in a randomly named directory created by launchd for each session, whose name is inherited by those jobs but not the user.
>
> As well as the DISPLAY variable, you can use the open command to specify which Xserver you want to use (e.g. open -a XQuartz.app /opt/local/bin/xemacs). My understanding is that you have to create new app and/or bundle names for this to spawn additional Xserver instances, otherwise you'll use what's already there if it's running or launch it if it's not.
>
> On 2 Apr 2011, at 17:18, Tommy Bollman wrote:
>
>> Hello Jeremy.
>>
>> The problem I had was that I installed the +huge port of vim.
>>
>> I have a good setup of xterm from within xterm. ( I start XQuartz from spotlight).
>>
>> When I then started up vim from withing the xterm, giving the command "gu", then X11.app
>> would start and do the window handling for vim I believe.
>>
>> The result was that I ended up having both X11.app and XQuartz.app visible in the command bar. (The one I get when I press cmd-Tab ).
>>
>> I think the problems goes for other apps as well.
>>
>> Since then I have installed a port which doesn't use X11, and MacVim, but I really would like
>> to have the menus and such from within XQuartz.
>>
>> I wonder how I fix this, so that vim/xim only uses XQuartz as the window server.
>> -If the problems would go away if I recompile, using the libraries found in the /opt tree?
>>

>> Thanks

>>> Yes.  That is the policy in MacPorts (to prefer in-tree dependencies rather than system-provided ones).

>>> I'm not sure what you're asking... You could use any X server you want...

>> Best regards
>>

>> Tommy Bollman

Best regards

Tommy Bollman