MacPorts vs xquartz? (was Re: openmotif in macports dependencies and xquartz?)

Tommy Bollman tommyb06 at student.uia.no
Sun Apr 3 01:56:12 PDT 2011

Hello. I'm sorry for this, I did some crossposting yesterday, and thought that I had fixed it.
(There is a first for everything...)

You should really have received this post before the one starting with Ooops:

Malpost starts here ...
Hello.

Here are some results concerning my display settings. I think I have tried to override
the naming of the display /unix:0 from the xauth command, but I did't manage to do so.

I do however remember that at a time, before I installed XQuartz, the display was named with a
tempfile first and then :0.

# The result from the different steps in XQuartz faq:

[1] :0
[2] /.bashrc:# export DISPLAY=:0.0 (It is commented out.)
[3] none
[4]  ssh -Y remote  (no output)
[5-6] I have no remote connections.

# I did one more grep however:

	grep -r DISPLAY /opt/X11/lib/X11 /etc 2>/dev/null

/opt/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xreset:/opt/X11/bin/sessreg -d -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp   -x /opt/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers -l $DISPLAY -h "" $USER
/opt/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup:exec /opt/X11/bin/sessreg  -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp   -x /opt/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers -l $DISPLAY -h "" $USER

# Here is the log for when I started up XQuartz from the Spotlight bar:

X11.app: main(): argc=2
	argv[0] = /Applications/Utilities/XQuartz.app/Contents/MacOS/X11.bin
	argv[1] = -psn_0_1450338
Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.
X11.app: Could not connect to server (DISPLAY is not set).  Starting X server.
X11.app: Launching /opt/X11/bin/startx:
	argv[0] = /bin/bash
	argv[1] = -c
	argv[2] = /opt/X11/bin/startx
font_cache: Scanning user font directories to generate X11 font caches
font_cache: Updating FC cache
font_cache: Scanning system font directories to generate X11 font caches
font_cache: Done
xauth:  file /Users/tommybollman/.serverauth.5096 does not exist
font_cache: Updating FC cache
font_cache: Done
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "Localhost.local:0" in "list" command
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "Localhost.local:0" in "add" command
launch_msg("CheckIn") IPC failure: Operation not permitted
X11.app: No launchd socket handed off, unsetting DISPLAY
X11.app: do_start_x11_server(): argc=8
	argv[0] = /opt/X11/bin/X
	argv[1] = :0
	argv[2] = -nolisten
	argv[3] = tcp
	argv[4] = -dpi
	argv[5] = 133
	argv[6] = -auth
	argv[7] = /Users/tommybollman/.serverauth.5096
Xquartz starting:
X.Org X Server 1.9.5
Build Date: 20110317
/opt/X11/bin/xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1

# Here is the output from xauth:

Localhost.local/unix:1  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  51b6dc8323ecb1f812ef7827ab2b65f0
Localhost.local/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  2850c712deb87f2cdb35918c3a39a919

# The xauth command I use : /opt/X11/bin/xauth

# This is the org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EnableTransactions</key>
	<true/>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>org.macosforge.xquartz.startx</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>/opt/X11/bin/startx</string>
	</array>
	<key>ServiceIPC</key>
	<true/>
	<key>Sockets</key>
	<dict>
		<key>org.macosforge.xquartz:0</key>
		<dict>
			<key>SecureSocketWithKey</key>
			<string>DISPLAY</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Thanks.

Malpost ends here .....

I'm really sorry for this.

I wonder:

Should I have a privileged_startx.plist file for XQuartz as well.

And I wonder how I get the xauth not to include that DISPLAY with /unix:0 in front of it.

Since this is the  the only place I know I'm setting the DISPLAY variable.

Thanks, and sorry once again.

Best regards

Tommy Bollman