Problems building alpine on Mac OS X 10.5.8/PowerPC/Xcode 3.1.4

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Wed Apr 6 19:29:10 PDT 2011

On Apr 1, 2011, at 2:39 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>> Any chance the link is picking up the wrong version of libcrypto?
>
> It certainly looks that way, since -L/usr/lib is appearing before -L/opt/local/lib in the command. Looks like it's also got the wrong libiconv. I'd file a bug report about this in the issue tracker.

BTW, I built it on Snow Leopard, and it 'worked'.  Looks like it's because "BIO_method_type" was introduced in libcrypto.0.9.8, and Snow Leopard has both 0.9.7 and 0.9.8 (active) in "/usr/lib" whereas Leopard only had 0.9.7.

The real question is why the alpine build isn't picking up those libraries from the Mac Ports install location.  It's getting them from the OS supplied versions:

[18:54] nightowl:~ % otool -L /opt/local/bin/alpine | egrep crypto\|ssl
/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 0.9.8)
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 0.9.8)

I uninstalled it (previous working version) on my Leopard machine to "fix" it, but I suppose it should still be fixed since it's presumably picking up the "wrong" libraries on Snow Leopard even if it builds.

Ticket filed (#29054).

	- Greg