Compile PostGIS 2.0 (SVN)

JP Glutting jpglutting at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:14:38 PDT 2011

Hello All,

I am having some trouble trying to compile the latest PostGIS code (
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/). I need the raster support in the
new version. I can't seem to get the code to compile on OS X, using Macports
for the dependencies. So far, configure is complaining about not finding the
PROJ.4 install directory. I have installed postgresql90, postgresql90-server
and proj with the -k switch to keep the source code (I actually reinstalled
proj with "sudo port -kf upgrade proj", which I think reinstalls and leaves
the source code - please correct me if I am wrong).

Using user-specified proj directory:
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gis_proj/work/proj-4.7.0/
checking proj_api.h usability... yes
checking proj_api.h presence... yes
checking for proj_api.h... yes
checking for pj_get_release in -lproj... no
configure: error: could not find libproj - you may need to specify the
directory of a PROJ.4 installation using --with-projdir

when running
sudo ./configure
--with-projdir=/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gis_proj/work/proj-4.7.0/

I also tried
sudo ./configure
--with-projdir=/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gis_proj/work/proj-4.7.0/src

and

sudo ./configure --with-projdir=/opt/local/include

But it keeps getting stuck on pj_get_release, which seems to be the way of
determining the release version of PROJ.4 - it is in the proj_api.h file,
but it seems like configure can't find it or use it properly.

I'm not sure what (if anything) I can do to get around this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
JP