Installing recoll on mac os x

james collins james.collins75 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 07:37:40 PDT 2011

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 31, 2011, at 6:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2011, at 11:29, james collins wrote:
>
>> If I type:
>>
>> sudo port install selfupdate I get an error, first my computer says:
>>
>> ----> Updating the ports tree
>>
>> Then it hangs on that for a little while, then I get the following error:
>>
>> Error: Synchronization of the local ports tree failed doing rsync
>> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports tree: Synchronization of 1 source(s) failed
>>
>> Don't know what is wrong
>
> Sounds like you're still having trouble retrieving the ports tree. Did you try any of the alternative methods of obtaining the ports tree? See below:

I tried http which failed with an error:

Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Error synchronizing MacPorts sources: shell command failed (see log for details)

I then tried svn, following the link to the website you gave me.

After making the directory and typing the commands into my terminal window. I believe my computer downloaded a lot of stuff i.e. There was an uppercase A on the left hand side of the terminal window and then things would just scroll by

I then edited sources.conf and added the following line:

file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports

I have a couple of questions

What do I do now? Run selfupdate? And if I do, how does that work does it update from the web or my computer?

Will this software be ready to use?

Why didn't rsync or http work? Is there a way to test rsync or debug to get it working? Just kinda bothers me that they didn't work? I think they were working at one point?

Anyway thanks for the help, hopefully you can help further