gcc 4.6 port for OSX Lion

ENDERLIN Christophe c.enderlin at me.com
Thu Aug 4 14:23:14 PDT 2011

Le 4 août 2011 à 21:58, Rainer Müller a écrit :

> On 2011-08-04 19:32 , ENDERLIN Christophe wrote:
>> To use this new version, I had to change some symbolic links in /usr/bin.
>> Was it right to proceed that way ? By the way, what is the difference between
>> x86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc-4.6.1 and x86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc-mp-4.6?
>> What does 'mp' stand for?
>
> Do *not* alter any files in /usr!

Thanks for this advice. I'll remember it. ;-)

> Use the command 'port select' to change which gcc is invoked when typing
> 'gcc' in your shell. It will change the symlink at /opt/local/bin/gcc.
>
>       sudo port select gcc gcc46

Yes, it works. Well, almost.

I put everything back in /usr as it was before my modifications, and then, I tried the
'port select' command. Now, I can see that the correct links have actually been created in /opt/local/bin
but the old ones in /usr/bin have not been deleted.

So, I get an error message when I try a command like 'gcc --version' which seems normal
since I have two links with the same name. (one in /usr/bin and one in /opt/local/bin)
I had to remove those old links in /usr/bin so that everything works fine.

> 'mp' means MacPorts. It's used to indicate that this is not a gcc with
> the Apple drivers unlike /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 or /usr/bin/gcc-4.2.

Ok thanks. Also, I don't know the difference there is between gcc, llvm-gcc and X86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc

> Rainer

Thanks for your help and good night.

Christophe