gcc 4.6 port for OSX Lion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:34:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 17:23, ENDERLIN Christophe <c.enderlin at me.com> wrote:

> I put everything back in /usr as it was before my modifications, and then,
> I tried the
> 'port select' command. Now, I can see that the correct links have actually
> been created in /opt/local/bin
> but the old ones in /usr/bin have not been deleted.

This is normal, expected, and necessary; make sure /opt/local/bin is in
$PATH before /usr/bin, do *not* remove or alter the ones in /usr/bin.
 MacPorts doesn't modify them for the same reason you shouldn't:
 non-MacPorts stuff will break.

> So, I get an error message when I try a command like 'gcc --version' which
> seems normal

since I have two links with the same name. (one in /usr/bin and one in
> /opt/local/bin)

--version will report the version of the one you ran, independent of any
other version anywhere.  What error message are you getting?

> I had to remove those old links in /usr/bin so that everything works fine.

Put them back; let's get this figured out correctly, do NOT break things by
altering /usr/bin.

Ok thanks. Also, I don't know the difference there is between gcc, llvm-gcc
> and X86_64-apple-darwin11-gcc

gcc is normal gcc.  llvm-gcc compiles to LLVM bytecode; this is handy for
grid job managers which can relink LLVM executables for other platforms
available in the grid, and for various optimizers that operate on LLVM
bytecode.  (But if you're not familiar with LLVM then you can just ignore
the whole thing.)  The final one is Apple's gcc for Xcode with various
Xcode-specific optimizations and code generators.