port selfupdate fails

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Tue Aug 16 14:01:59 PDT 2011

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 16:27:06 -0400, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

>> I left ports trying to build mono last night, and twenty four hours
>> later, it was still building mono. There was a process running the
>> /Library/Frameworks/mono.framework that was consuming an awful lot of
>> mill. I killed and and cleaned mono, then got a new version of the
>> mono framework from the mono web site, and tried to do the self-update
>> again. No Joy.
>
> Quite some time ago, I had problems building mono - but things seemed
> to work if I stopped the build and started it again (without
> cleaning). I never spent time investigating it, as I didn't end up
> needing mono for long.
>
>> I note a comment at the web site that the current release of mono
>> for OSX is 32-bit only, and I'd need to build a 64-bit one myself.
>> Haven't found the destructions for that yet. I'm going to try deleting
>> the mono framework and having another go at the selfupdate.
>
> As far as I know, we don't link with Mono, so it shouldn't interfere
> with selfupdate (it may interfere with building your own mono). I
> wasn't sure which was failing for you...

We don't.  But, the 3rd party Mono package installs in a location that
we're searching for libraries in, and it seems ./configure is finding
it, and we're preferring it's sqlite library to the system one when
building macports base:

(from an earlier message in the thread):
ld: warning: in
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/1.9.1/lib/libsqlite3.dylib,
missing required architecture x86_64 in file

So if you move the non-macports Mono out of /Library/Frameworks and
selfupdate again it should detect the system libsqlite and be happy.

You don't need to install mono out of ports unless you want mono
(macports base does not need it), and installing it out of ports won't
solve the problem of the 3rd party libraries in /Library/Frameworks
breaking the selfupdate build (you need to remove that directory as
suggested above)...

Thanks,
Eric