port selfupdate fails

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Aug 16 13:27:06 PDT 2011

On Aug 16, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Andrew Long wrote:

>>> For the other issue, please delete /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework. You don't need to install the MacPorts mono ports unless you have a need for them; MacPorts isn't going to use them.
>
> I left ports trying to build mono last night, and twenty four hours later, it was still building mono. There was a process running the /Library/Frameworks/mono.framework that was consuming an awful lot of mill. I killed and and cleaned mono, then got a new version of the mono framework from the mono web site, and tried to do the self-update again. No Joy.

Quite some time ago, I had problems building mono - but things seemed to work if I stopped the build and started it again (without cleaning). I never spent time investigating it, as I didn't end up needing mono for long.

> I note a comment at the web site that the current release of mono for OSX is 32-bit only, and I'd need to build a 64-bit one myself. Haven't found the destructions for that yet. I'm going to try deleting the mono framework and having another go at the selfupdate.

As far as I know, we don't link with Mono, so it shouldn't interfere with selfupdate (it may interfere with building your own mono). I wasn't sure which was failing for you...

--
Daniel J. Luke