Port upgrade problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 17 15:10:41 PDT 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 17:04, David Perlman wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2011, at 3:42 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> Error: port uninstall failed: error deleting "/opt/local/var/macports/software/1Dmean/1.0_0": directory not empty
>>
>> Delete the directory and try again.
>
> I sudo rm -Rf'd the directory and tried again.  Got the same error for the next one in the list.  sudo rm -Rf.  repeat.  sudo rm -Rf.  Etc.  There are quite a lot in there, I'm hesitant to sudo rm -Rf *...  so I moved everything into a garbage directory.  After that the port uninstall completed successfully.
>>

>>> I had MacPorts installed a long time ago, and just reinstalled it from precompiled binary, then ran sudo port selfupdate and sudo port upgrade outdated.  To get that to work at all, I had to edit /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf to remove some local ports directories that someone else had set up a long time ago.
>>>
>>> Currently that file only says
>>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>>>
>>> which I think is right?
>>
>> We currently recommend (check your sources.conf.default in the same directory):
>>
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
>
> I switched this too.  I had to do a port selfupdate after this.
>
> Everything seems to be working now, thanks!

Glad to hear you got it working. (I'm sending this reply back to the mailing list so others know it's solved.) You're not the first person to report these directories that MacPorts didn't want to delete on its own after upgrading to MacPorts 2, and I don't understand the changes in our code well enough to explain why this is happening now, or how we should fix it.