disk I/O error (10) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 19 12:26:54 PDT 2011

On Aug 19, 2011, at 13:58, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I do not believe I have any disk problem. Disk Utility shows no problem. I
>> am able to copy the registry file just fine without any I/O errors.
>
> That is an SQLite-specific error message, and not the foreboding of the
> kernel.

It took Google to remind me that I ran into the same problem last year, and Rainer was kind enough to provide the solution at that time, which worked again this time:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-July/021051.html

The solution is to do something with MacPorts with sudo again. This cleans up the database.

$ port info zlib
sqlite error: disk I/O error (10) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
    while executing
"registry::open $db_path"
    (procedure "mportinit" line 540)
    invoked from within
"mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sqlite error: disk I/O error (10) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
$ sudo port info zlib
Password:
zlib @1.2.5 (archivers)
Variants:             (+)universal

Description:          zlib is designed to be a free, general-purpose, legally unencumbered, lossless data-compression library for use on virtually any computer hardware and
                      operating system.
Homepage:             http://www.zlib.net/

Platforms:            darwin, freebsd
License:              zlib