X11 Crashing When Launching Programs That Require GTK2

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Aug 24 10:50:54 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 9:31 AM, Ivan Kawaler wrote:

> I am not sure if it actually has anything to do with GTK2, but that was the first common variable I've found.  When launching from the X11 Applications menu, the programs begin to launch, and then X11 crashes.  When launching the programs from the Mac OS X Terminal, I get the following common messages:
>
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-4qwYnI/:0".

That message indicates that you have a very old X11 server.  I'd recommend updating your X11 server to see if the crash goes away.  I've fixed many crashes since the pre-RANDR days.

Also, your DISPLAY there is *really* old.  It doesn't even have the identifier in it.  Definitely update XQuartz to 2.6.3, or just 'sudo port -v install xorg-server' and use the one from MacPorts.

> easytag: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server /tmp/launch-4qwYnI/:0.
> gimp: Fatal IO error 0 (Unknown error: 0) on X server /tmp/launch-4qwYnI/:0.

That's just the client application letting you know that it lost connection to the server (expected).

> There is a file in /tmp/launch-4qwYnI/ with a name of /0 and a size of 0 bytes.  This started happening after I upgraded MacPorts to version 2.0.1 from the last version of 1.  Does anyone know of a fix?  I am running on a PPC with 10.5.8.  Thanks in advance.

I doubt it has anything to do with the MacPorts update itself.

---
Jeremy Huddleston

Rebuild Sudan
 - Board of Directors
 - http://www.rebuildsudan.org

Berkeley Foundation for Opportunities in Information Technology
 - Advisory Board
 - http://www.bfoit.org