Installed macports what to do next

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Aug 25 10:23:23 PDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 12:08 PM, james collins wrote:

> I thought about running selfupdate, but can't get rsync working.

It does sound like what you need to do is run selfupdate (and then you should be able to install recoll and/or whatever else you want from MacPorts).

Do you have any details on why rsync isn't working? Are you on some heavily restricted network or behind some external firewall you don't have control over?

You can run `port -d selfupdate` to get more information on what is happening

> I wondered, I know it says to run selfupdate often. And I obviously want it working. But I just installed macports shouldn't I have recoll already?

It probably depends on how you installed MacPorts.

> And what is the ports tree. Do I have a ports tree by default when installing macports, or do I get it by running selfupdate?

The ports tree is the list of ports that MacPorts can install and the information that MacPorts uses to install those ports for you.

> I thought about running selfupdate by using subversion, but just wanted to try and understand macports a little more

You can use subversion if you can't use rsync, and you can also use our daily tarball of the port files (which is slightly easier to set up than subversion, but only gets updated once per day).

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PortTreeTarball

--
Daniel J. Luke