Latest Gedit no longer works and crashes

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 01:40:33 PST 2011

First Gedit @2.30.4_1 failed to start:

jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ gedit
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gedit
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Then I completely removed the port and reinstalled:

jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port uninstall gedit
Password:
--->  The following versions of gedit are currently installed:
--->      gedit @2.26.3_0
--->      gedit @2.30.3_0
--->      gedit @2.30.4_1 (active)
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port uninstall gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Deactivating gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Cleaning gedit
--->  Uninstalling gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Cleaning gedit
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port clean --all gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Cleaning gedit
jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo port install gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Computing dependencies for gedit
--->  Fetching gedit
--->  Attempting to fetch gedit-2.30.4.tar.bz2 from
ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/X11/gnome/sources/gedit/2.30/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gedit
--->  Extracting gedit
--->  Applying patches to gedit
--->  Configuring gedit
--->  Building gedit
--->  Staging gedit into destroot
--->  Installing gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Activating gedit @2.30.4_1
--->  Cleaning gedit

Then I tried to open my hosts file with Gedit from the terminal, it opened
and crashed right away:

jaspersmbp:~ jasper$ sudo gedit /etc/hosts

(process:28799): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-10BlXI/org.x:0".
----------------------------------
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Not enough
memory)
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Not enough
memory)
**
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed:
(retval != NULL)
Abort trap

Any ideas why? is this version perhaps not working properly? I mean I always
got errors like these, but it would always work...