MacPorts throws errors on everything (include uninstall) since selfupdate

Aba-Sah Dadzie a.dadzie at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 04:14:01 PST 2011

Hi,

I ran selfupdate almost a week ago, and my computer is pretty much
broken now - for any program remotely related to MacPorts.
First of all, it broke xdvi running on X11, which wasn't even installed
via MacPorts - the list of complaints were to do mostly with fonts. Then
I realised Gimp was broken. I tried to upgrade and that generated a
segmentation fault. Which is when I started searching online for the
cause. I then tried a complete upgrade - 'sudo port upgrade outdated' -
that failed with another segmentation fault.  I tried a clean, uninstall
and reinstall. No joy.

I've spent pretty much the whole week searching the Web to find out if
anyone's had the same problem, have gone through the MacPorts bug
archives, the archives on this list, the MacPorts FAQ, the MacPorts
guide... I could go on and on.
I've found similar issues, and followed the suggestions where relevant.
I've run the script pointed to by the FAQ to rebuild the database -
'repairfilemap.tcl'. That succeeded - '-- File map successfully built
--' - one of only two things that've worked since the selfupdate...

But trying to upgrade the outdated ports is still failing. Now I get an
error 'Abort trap' or 'Segmentation fault'.

And yesterday emacs started crashing, and the autosave on that is also
broken, I discovered, so I lost a lot of work, TWICE, before I gave up,
shut down and started using a text editor.

So I spent all this morning searching again... and the closest to my
problem suggests reinstalling MacPorts from the disk image. (from the
users archive the thread 'sudo port upgrade outdated - issue?' started
by Gabriele Kahlout in Dec 2010)
I just did that, and it was successful. (a version check before that
said I had 1.9.2 - same as the latest - what I downloaded). Btw, I
upgraded XCode earlier in the week - since apparently that is sometimes
the problem - I was only 1 version behind the latest, anyway. It made no
difference. I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) on a MacBook.

After reinstalling MacPorts I tried the port upgrade again. It failed.
Again. With a segmentation fault. I have restarted my machine several
times this week. And again after reinstalling MacPorts this morning. So
the last thing I tried was to uninstall MacPorts, in order to reinstall
from scratch, which was the suggestion if it still gave problems simply
installing from the disk image. Even that fails!

Apologies for the long mail, but I can't get any work done and I've
deadlines this week while I've been spending forever trying to get
applications I rely on to start working again.

I have copied below the ouput from trying the manual uninstall. Is
anyone else having the same problem? Or does anyone know how I can
uninstall MacPorts so I can try to rebuild/reinstall the broken programs
on my machine? I've not yet posted a new bug ticket, mostly because I
don't even know where to start posting what the bug is.

Regards,
Aba-Sah

*********************

lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ sudo port upgrade outdatedPassword:
alloc: invalid block: 0x33ca5f8: 58 3 0

Abort trap
lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ sudo port -f uninstall installed
Password:
--->  Unable to uninstall aalib 1.4rc5_4, the following ports depend on it:
--->      gimp2
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating aalib @1.4rc5_4
Error: port uninstall failed: unknown node kind in database (database is
corrupted?)
lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ sudo port -f uninstall gimp2
--->  Unable to uninstall gimp2 2.6.6_0+darwin_9+x11, the following
ports depend on it:
--->      gimp-app
--->      gimp-jp2
--->      gimp-lqr-plugin
--->      gutenprint
--->      icns-gimp
--->      macclipboard-gimp
--->      macfile-gimp
--->      ufraw
--->      xsane
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating gimp2 @2.6.6_0+darwin_9+x11
[...]
lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ sudo port -f uninstall aalib
lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ sudo port -f uninstall aalib @1.4rc5_4
--->  Unable to uninstall aalib 1.4rc5_4, the following ports depend on it:
--->      gimp2
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating aalib @1.4rc5_4
Error: port uninstall failed: unknown node kind in database (database is
corrupted?)
lap-lin-09-246:~ aba-sah$ cd /
lap-lin-09-246:/ aba-sah$ sudo ./repairfilemap.tcl
Parsing receipts...
Parsing active receipt for aalib 1.4rc5_4
Parsing active receipt for apr 1.4.2_1
Parsing active receipt for apr-util 1.3.10_0
Parsing active receipt for atk 1.30.0_0
...[truncated]

Parsing active receipt for XviD 1.1.3_1
Parsing active receipt for xz 5.0.1_0