MacPorts throws errors on everything (include uninstall) since selfupdate

Aba-Sah Dadzie a.dadzie at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 16:28:46 PST 2011

On 21/02/2011 22:11, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 08:42, Aba-Sah Dadzie wrote:
>
>> unfortunately the log file's gone now, so cdn't get the values. I just managed to get graphviz to install (by using the -f flag with install), then retried emacs-app, and this time everything was fine, the original log file has disappeared, so I get the impression it was overwritten.
>>
>> So either it's just been fixed or whatever the issue was happened to have been resolved in the previous install with the override.
>>
>> thanks again for your help.
>> Aba-Sah
>>
>> P.S. One other thing I discovered, by checking the output during the graphviz install with -f, is that the dbus dependencies which broke that initially was because in /Library/LaunchDaemons on my machine the plist file I needed to delete was "org.freedesktop.dbus-system.*" rather than "org.macports.*", which is what the uninstall list includes - I didn't have the latter on my machine.
>
> Well, you're right, dbus' launchd plist has the org.freedesktop prefix, and the if-your-MacPorts-isn't-working uninstall instructions would not catch that.
>
> The if-your-MacPorts-isn't-working uninstall instructions won't catch 100% of everything that MacPorts could possibly install. They just catch most things.
>
> (If your MacPorts is working, then you'd "sudo port -f uninstall installed" and it would uninstall that file.)
>
> We can't really add org.freedesktop.* to the list of things to uninstall, because those files might have been installed by the user not using MacPorts.

Hmmmmm... surprised it was still there then. Because after I
resinstalled MacPorts I uninstalled using the port command and then
deleted the same set of directories I had before. And then reinstalled
from the image (for a second time, before I started reinstalling the
ports). But that didn't delete org.freedesktop either.