Bind 9 not launching named...

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sat Jan 1 04:43:35 PST 2011

On 2010-12-31 , at 16:50 , William H. Magill wrote:

> Double DUH....
>
>   cd /opt/local/etc
>   more named.conf
>   named.conf: Too many levels of symbolic links
>   ln -s named.conf
>  4 lrwxr--r--   1 root  admin    10 Dec 31 18:26 named.conf -> named.conf
>
> I created the link backwards.

Link to what? The install instructions say:

* To setup named to run, you need to copy named.conf.dist
* to named.conf:
* sudo cp /opt/local/etc/named.conf.dist /opt/local/etc/named.conf

You then edit /opt/local/etc/named.conf and set things like log file locations, and, in particular

    listen-on { 127.0.0.1; YOUR.IP.ADDRESS.HERE; };

if you want other hosts to be able to query.

My assumption is that you wanted to point the bind9 to a pre-existing named.conf file.

This note is just to clarify for others the simple change to the config file that allows external connections to your nameserver.

8)