Bind 9 not launching named...

William H. Magill magill at me.com
Sat Jan 1 13:31:17 PST 2011

On Jan 1, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2010-12-31 , at 16:50 , William H. Magill wrote:
>>
>> Double DUH....
>>
>>  cd /opt/local/etc
>>  more named.conf
>>  named.conf: Too many levels of symbolic links
>>  ln -s named.conf
>> 4 lrwxr--r--   1 root  admin    10 Dec 31 18:26 named.conf -> named.conf
>>
>> I created the link backwards.
>
> Link to what? The install instructions say:
>
> * To setup named to run, you need to copy named.conf.dist
> * to named.conf:
> * sudo cp /opt/local/etc/named.conf.dist /opt/local/etc/named.conf
>
> You then edit /opt/local/etc/named.conf and set things like log file locations, and, in particular
>
>    listen-on { 127.0.0.1; YOUR.IP.ADDRESS.HERE; };
>
> if you want other hosts to be able to query.

FYI,  "named.conf.dist  simply says:

        listen-on-v6 { none; };
        listen-on { 127.0.0.1; };

I also note that the comments imply that the configuration file(s?) are defined for running on OSX Server.
I happen to be running this on a standard OSX installation on a Mini.

> My assumption is that you wanted to point the bind9 to a pre-existing named.conf file.

Yes and no. I have the "habit" of keeping the named.conf file with the zonefiles so I can find it.
... Call it a senior memory management issues.:)

> This note is just to clarify for others the simple change to the config file that allows external connections to your nameserver.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at me.com